Field Operations
The Field Operations section is responsible for ensuring the distribution of finished potable and reclaimed water to residents and businesses, as well as the collection and transmission of wastewater back to the wastewater facility for treatment.

Field operations crews maintain over 400 miles of water mains; 340 miles of sewer gravity and force mains; and 125 miles of reclaimed water lines.

In addition, our specialized and well trained crews perform testing and maintenance for over 2,800 fire hydrants in the system and regular routine inspection of over 6,100 manholes.

Regularly scheduled maintenance and repair of the water, wastewater, and reclaimed systems is performed between 7 a.m. and 5 p.m. Call 386-506-5955 during regular business hours Monday through Friday.

Personnel are also available after business hours as well as weekends and holidays to respond to emergency water and sewer line breaks.

In the event of an emergency call, call the Public Utilities 24-hr hotline at 386-756-5380.
Field Operations FAQs
If I plan on doing any type of digging on my property, do I need to call someone to locate the water and sewer lines?
The City of Port Orange does not perform utility locates for water, sewer and reclaimed water lines on private property. You will have to locate these lines yourself. However, you need to contact the One-Call Service at (800) 432-4770, for other utilities to be located, if you are performing excavation work deeper than 10". The One-Call Service is responsible to contact all local utility companies to locate their utilities for you. They have 48 hours to do so, after being contacted by the One-Call System, and they will use paint and flagging to mark the ground where their utilities exist. If you plan to dig within 2' of these marks, be very cautious, using hand tools only, in order to avoid damaging the buried utility lines. Due to the 48-hour notice, you will need to plan ahead and call in advance of your work.

Can I do excavation work within 15' of the edge of the pavement of a City street?
If you are performing work deeper than 10", you must notify the One-Call Service at (800) 342-4770 to contact all local utility companies to locate their lines for you. After the One-Call Service has contacted them, utility companies have 48 hours to locate their lines. They will use paint and flagging to mark the ground where their utilities are buried. If you plan to dig within 2' of these marks, use extreme caution, using hand tools only, to avoid damaging the buried lines. Remember to plan ahead, due to the 48-hour notice.

Minor or major dirt filling or excavating operations within 15' of the edge of a street also requires a City right-of-way permit. Right-of-way permits are also required for construction efforts, such as installation of an additional driveway. Mailbox post installations do not require a permit, if done carefully with hand tools. However, any type of masonry mailbox or planter structure installation will require City Council approval of a Right-of-Way License Agreement and subsequently a right-of-way use permit. Please contact the Public Utilities Department at (386) 506-5754 or (386) 506-5757 for assistance with this permitting application process.

What do I do if I want to plant flowers, shrubs or trees within 15' of the edge of the pavement on a City street?
Please contact the Community Development Department at (386) 506-5607 to find out what types of plants are permissible and what formal approvals may be necessary to do this.

What is a backflow prevention device and who needs it?
A backflow prevention device is a mechanical device located at the meter that prevents a reverse flow of water (backflow) into the distribution system in case of a pressure loss in the line. This prevents contaminants from flowing into the distribution system and spreading to other locations.

Commercial customers are required to have a reduced pressure principle assembly (RP) installed immediately after their water meter to protect our water distribution system. RP's provide the best protection for the public water system. Commercial utilities customers are required by City code to have their RP's tested annually by a Certified Backflow Prevention (BFP) Tester. They may fax the backflow tester's report to (386) 756-5370.

Our residential utilities customers with reclaimed water have a double-check BFP on their potable water meter to prevent cross-connection with their reclaimed water irrigation system. Irrigation systems using potable water need a pressure vacuum breaker BFP before the irrigation meter.

Irrigation system inspections are required by the City after sprinkler or reclaimed water meters are installed. Please call our Water Distribution Division at (386) 506-5955 to schedule your inspection. Call (386) 506-5756 for more information on backflow preventers or visit

Who do I call if my sewer is backing up?
Call (386) 506-5795, our Wastewater Collection Division, Monday through Friday, between the hours of 7:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. At any other time, call (386) 756-5380 or (386) 506-5785.

What should I do if I accidentally damage a sanitary sewer lateral?
If the damaged lateral is more than 15' from the edge of the paved street or if the damage is located between the house and the clean-out, then you will need to contact a local plumbing company to make the repairs. In other instances, call (386) 506-5795, our Wastewater Collection Division, Monday through Friday, between the hours of 7:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. At any other time, call (386) 756-5380 or (386) 506-5785.

What types of things are unsafe to despose of in the sewer system?
Explosive liquids or solids, fire hazard liquids or solids, grease, oils, whole blood, wood, glass, plastics, dyes, radioactive wastes, antifreeze, oxygen demanding products and biohazard substances including pesticides should not be disposed of in the sanitary sewer system.

What do the painted marks and/or flags on the sidewalks, roadways, and sometimes even in resident's yards mean?
They are normally used for marking underground utility lines. Locates are required prior to digging to prevent utility line damage. The different colors represent different utilities. Listed below are the color codes.

White - Proposed excavation

Pink - Temporary survey markings

Red - Electric power lines, cables, conduit and lighting cables

Yellow - Gas, oil, steam, petroleum or gaseous materials

Orange - Communication, alarm or signal lines, cables or conduit

Blue - Potable (drinking) water

Purple - Reclaimed water, irrigation and slurry lines

Green - Sewers and drain lines

For further information you may call Sunshine State One Call of Florida, Inc. at (800) 432-4770 or go to their website

Important Numbers
Main Number

Customer Service
(Water / Sewer/ Garbage Bill Questions & Payments)

Community Development & Building Permits

Code Compliance Hotline

Fire Administration

Parks & Recreation

Parks & Recreation Afterhours

Police Department

Police Non-Emergency & Animal Control

Public Utilities

Public Utilities Afterhours

Public Works

Public Works Afterhours

City Manager,
Mayor & City Council


Click here to go to the Stormwater Management page

City Tweets
Police Tweets
668.6076. Public records status of e-mail addresses; agency website notice: Under Florida law, e-mail addresses are public records. If you do not want your e-mail address released in response to a public records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity. Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing.