Stormwater Fee Letter to Customers more info...

About Your Drinking Water
The Department provides potable (drinking) water service to over 27,000 residential and business service connections with a population of over 68,000.

Our 70 square mile service area includes the City of Port Orange, the Town of Ponce Inlet, and portions of Daytona Beach Shores and unincorporated Volusia County.

The Garnsey Water Treatment Plant is located on Wellfield Drive off Clyde Morris Boulevard.

The plant is a conventional lime softening facility which processes water supplied by 40 deep water wells and has a current capacity of 15 million gallons per day.

Drinking Water FAQs
What is a "Boil Water Notice"?
A "Boil Water Notice" is an official public notification that is required by law, informing those affected to boil their water that is used for cooking or drinking for one to three minutes as a precautionary measure. During this time, our staff collects water samples in the affected area, and performs bacteriological tests to determine that the water is safe to drink. While the "Boil Water Notice" is in effect, the water may be used for bathing and similar purposes. The "Boil Water Notice" will usually be hand delivered in the form of a paper flyer, but may be issued via TV, radio and newspapers when large areas are impacted. The notice will be in effect until a flyer or media broadcast is issued, informing the affected public that the "Boil Water Notice" has been rescinded.

Why are "Boil Water Notices" issued?
A "Boil Water Notice" is issued when water pressure in an affected area falls below 20 p.s.i. When pressure falls to this level there is the potential of back-syphonage and cross-contamination of the water system. Events that may cause low pressure are water main breaks, high service pump failure or planned construction of water lines. When these events occur, a "Boil Water Notice" is issued as a precautionary measure, and is in effect until bacteriological samples have been taken, analyzed and the results indicate that the water is safe to drink. After two consecutive days of bacteriological tests have passed, the "Rescinding of Boil Water Notices" are distributed.

Who do I call if my water tastes bad?
If you have any water quality concerns, such as taste, odor, color, etc, you can call the water treatment plant, (386) 756-5380. A treatment plant operator will answer any questions you may have and respond to your complaint promptly.

What are some tips for better water quality?
A. Calcium particles in the water are a common water quality complaint that we receive. If customers drain and flush out their hot water heaters on an annual basis, they can remove the majority of these calcium particles that accumulate in the bottom of the hot water tank, which cause faucet screens and shower heads to clog. It is also recommended you remove and clean showerheads and faucet screens periodically to reduce any calcium buildup that may occur. Running the faucet in the kitchen sink for approximately one minute each morning before consuming any water can substantially reduce the potential of any accumulation of lead and copper concentrations. Lead and copper can leach into the water from plumbing connections overnight when water is not being used.

What is the annual treating and flushing of the water distribution system?
Each year, during part of the months of October and November, water plant personnel change the disinfectant that is used in the treatment process, from a chlorine-ammonia combination (commonly referred to as "chloramines") to a free chlorine residual. Fire hydrants are flushed throughout the entire water distribution system to improve water quality and increase the bacteriological integrity of the water distribution system. At the end of this process, water plant personnel return to the use of a chloramine to resume normal operating conditions.

Why do some people experience taste and odor problems during the annual flushing and treating of the water distribution system?
During the transitional stage of changing disinfectants, people report detecting the taste and odor of chlorine in their drinking water. This minor inconvenience is a temporary consequence of changing over to another disinfectant and does not represent any health problems. The water is safe to drink and can be safely consumed, or bottled water can be used during this time as a substitute if one finds this aesthetically displeasing. The annual flushing and treating of the water distribution system is performed as a precautionary measure and is recommended by the Volusia County Health Department. We appreciate your understanding during this operation as we strive to improve your water quality.

If I want to install a well for lawn sprinkling; what steps do I have to take?
Get a well permit from Volusia County Environmental Management. Please call 386-254-4612 for more information. Yes, you need a permit even if you are going to pump from a retention pond. Well drilling companies get the permit as part of their service when they drill a well.

Important Numbers
Main Number

Customer Service
(Water / Sewer/ Garbage Bill Questions & Payments)

Community Development & Building Permits

Code Compliance Hotline

Fire Administration

Parks & Recreation

Parks & Recreation Afterhours

Police Department

Police Non-Emergency & Animal Control

Public Utilities

Public Utilities Afterhours

Public Works

Public Works Afterhours

City Manager,
Mayor & City Council


Click here to go to the Stormwater Management page

City Tweets
Police Tweets
668.6076. Public records status of e-mail addresses; agency website notice: Under Florida law, e-mail addresses are public records. If you do not want your e-mail address released in response to a public records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity. Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing.