THE COMMUNITY REDEVELOPMENT AGENCY

FOR PORT ORANGE TOWN CENTER

CITY OF PORT ORANGE

COUNCIL CHAMBERS

1000 CITY CENTER CIRCLE

JULY 19, 2011

 

THE REGULAR MEETING OF THE TOWN CENTER REDEVELOPMENT AGENCY was called to order by Chairman Allen Green at 7:05 P.M.

 

Pledge of Allegiance

 

Invocation – Silent

 

ROLL CALL:                         Present:                     Bob Ford

                                                                                    Don Burnette

                                                                                    Bob Pohlmann

Dennis Kennedy

                                                                                    Ben Talluto

                                                                                    Suzette Blahnik

                                                                                    Chairman Allen Green

                                   

Also Present:            Kenneth W. Parker, City Manager                       

                                    Margaret Roberts, City Attorney

Donna Steinebach, Assistant to the City Manager

                                                                                    Robin Fenwick, Deputy City Clerk

B.        DISCUSSION/ACTION

 

4.         Approval of Minutes

 

a.    Regular Meeting held April 19, 2011

b.    Special Meeting held May 3, 2011

c.    Special Meeting held June 7, 2011

           

Motion made by Member Burnette, and seconded by Member Kennedy, to approve the Minutes. Motion carried unanimously by voice vote.

 

5.         Quarterly Update – 3rd Quarter FY 2010-2011

 

Donna Steinebach, Assistant to the City Manager, gave the quarterly update. The most significant item for the quarter was the issuance of the RFP (Request for Proposals) for Riverwalk. There were no responses received from the RFP. Member Burnette would like Staff to look at other cities' marketing campaigns. He is disappointed that the sign did not get done until the last day of the RPF.

Member Pohlmann asked if there has been any interest in the property since the RFP. Mr. Parker said yes, a confidential agreement is being discussed.

Member Kennedy agrees with Member Burnette. He thinks the property should bring in a developer.

Member Blahnik doesn't like the sign. She thinks it is hard to read the number and the website.

Chairman Green spoke to another developer who said the biggest problem is that the City and CRA don’t have control of the full area.

Member Ford agrees that the major problem is beyond advertisement. He believes there are two choices for the CRA: they actively seek out purchasing properties (not in favor due to finances), or the second option is incremental development and intermittent uses. He also wants to look at how to get excitement for the project. Questions were asked and discussed about partnerships with the City/CRA and businesses.

Chairman Green asked about the sign for the boat sales. Mr. Parker will check, and Ms. Steinebach will check with code.

Member Talluto believes things will happen if the City/CRA buy other properties, but doesn't see how that could happen with the current finances. He suggests clearing the former mobile home park and selling it or develop it and then sell. He wants to sell the cheapest pieces of property.

Chairman Green asked about the “Bert Harris” method of exchange. Attorney Roberts explained requirements for exchanging properties.

Member Ford wants to have a monthly or semi-monthly event at the mobile home park for exposure. He wants things cleaned up. He wants Ms. Steinebach to talk with attorney regarding the process for exchanging property.

Member Burnette agrees that there needs to be more activity (art shows, etc.) on the property.

Member Pohlmann asked if grants are available. Mr. Parker said yes. Member Pohlmann thinks the "point" should be in the City/CRA's control. Attorney Roberts explained that they just went through the process for negotiating.

Member Kennedy agrees that there needs to be more activity in the area.

Member Blahnik also agrees: more activity and clean.

 

6.         FY2012 Preliminary Agency Budget

 

Ms. Steinebach presented the 2012 preliminary agency budget. The budget has declined since 2007. TIFF revenues are still down. The revenues are not enough to pay the debt services, there are transfers from the City's 508 fund that supplements the CRA to pay debt services. The final approval will come after Volusia County, Port Orange, and the hospital set their millage rates. $25,000 was set aside to help get things going with the RDP proposals but there are restrictions on what the money can be used on. Ms. Steinebach explained. Mr. Parker gave an example of the restrictions.

Member Pohlmann asked how much longer on the debt obligation. Mr. Parker said 26 years or so.

Member Burnette disapproves of the fact that the CRA has to borrow money from the City's 508 fund to pay debt services.

Member Ford asked for a yearly cost for improving the property and bringing more activity to the area. He doesn't agree with letting things sit.

Member Talluto suggests they hold tight on the money and get together with the City.

Chairman Green wants a plan for cleaning it up and getting activity. He suggested that $25,000 be set aside until there’s a plan.

Member Talluto suggested a CRA and public meeting with contractors to give and get ideas. He believes they need new ideas.

 

7.         Removal of Palm Trees at the former Halifax Trailer Park Site, 3459 Ridgewood Avenue

 

Member Ford recommends that item #7 be placed in the master plan. Member Burnette agrees and wants a plan before they decide what the direction is. Member Blahnik agrees, as do Member Kennedy and Member Pohlmann.

 

ADJOURNMENT: 7:50 P.M.

 

 

 

                                                                                    ________________________

                                                                                    Chairman Allen Green