What is E-Sports?
E-Sports (also known as electronic sports, e-sports, or eSports) is a form of sport competition using video games. Esports often takes the form of organized, multiplayer video game competitions, particularly between professional players, individually or as teams.
Parks and Recreation is starting an E-Sports program for a few reasons, but the biggest reason is INCLUSION. E-Sports tournaments and leagues provide new opportunities to our community, which will bring participants together in a fun, save and learning environment.
Our First Tournament:
BACK TO SCHOOL DUEL (SUPER SMASH BROS TOURNAMENT)
16 players Max. Pool play, then seeded for a double eliminations head to head tournament.
$10 per player, open to boys and girls ages 7-12.
9:00am-1:00pm on OCT 3rd. at The REC Center (4655 City Center Circle, Port Orange, FL).
Prizes for 1st-3rd place.
We will be taking safety measures due to COVID-19 such as:
- -Players must bring their own water bottle or drink with lid.
- -Social distancing during play.
- -Sanitizing equipment after each match.
- -Staff will be wear masks at all times. Players are recommended to wear mask, but is not mandatory.
- -No spectators, ONLY PLAYERS ARE ALLOWED IN.
- -No post match player interaction such as high-fives.
- -Temperature checks at door.
A WAIVER MUST BE FILLED OUT BY A PARENT OR GUARDIAN BEFORE THE PLAYER MAY PARTICIPATE IN THE SESSION. WAIVER WILL BE EMAILED OUT PRIOR TO THE SESSION AND WE WILL ALSO HAVE COPIES AT THE FIELD.
For any questions please call 386-506-5933.
Why Play E-Sports?
Cognitive & Social Development
- Improved hand-eye coordination
- Improved attention and visual acuity
- Improved basic visual processing and executive function
- Problem solving & strategy skill development
- Boosts self-confidence and player socialization
- Help connect with friends and make new ones
Players who participate in E-Sports programs are found to have a higher interest in STEM (Science, Tech, Engineering, Math) subjects, and have strong average GPA's. E-Sports helps them engage with their fellow students and their school’s administrators.
Problem Solving Skills
Research shows that children that play videos games have a far much better chance of navigating through complex psychological issues compared to those that do not actively participate in video games.
Future Job Market
Playing video games can make students keener and more employable across a wider spectrum of careers including medical field, engineering, remote flying, computer sciences, and etc.
E-Sports can boost children's strategic thinking, teamwork, communication, leadership, performance skills and confidence building.