The Rec Rangers program is a free nature program for children ages 7-14 years old with the mission of fostering young adult connectivity to nature and encouraging participation and stewardship of the parks and recreation opportunities and resources within their community.
***DUE TO COVID-19 THE REC RANGERS PROGRAM HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY SUSPENDED.***
We do plan on reinstating this program once it is safe and reasonable to do so. In the meantime, check out the links under ACTIVITY IDEAS for fun, environmentally focused activities that you can do on your own.
- Skype A Scientist | Match classes/families with a scientist to meet on Skype for a Q&A | https://www.skypeascientist.com/
- All about Birds | Learn about different birds and bird calls | https://www.allaboutbirds.org/news/
- Little Pine Learners | Blog for over 100 Nature Play/Learning Activities | https://littlepinelearners.com/?fbclid=IwAR0GSKOy37jaoa5Mjc7eDWIFsbHgMGPH6rxXgEV0kE6d_hukO0oynqLtGhk
- Cincinnati Zoo & Botanical Gardens Facebook Live | Daily live "meet an animal" at 3pm EST along with activities to do at home | https://www.facebook.com/cincinnatizoo/
- Nat Geo Kids | Learn more about different animals, play games, etc. | https://kids.nationalgeographic.com/
- Smithsonian Museum Virtual Tours | Take a virtual tour of one of the Smithsonian Museums | https://www.si.edu/kids
- Yellowstone National Park | Virtual Tour of Yellowstone | https://www.nps.gov/yell/learn/photosmultimedia/virtualtours.htm
- Mindfulness for kids | Aggregated mindfulness activity ideas | https://positivepsychology.com/mindfulness-for-children-kids-activities/
- 4-H | Books and online resources for ages 8 to 18 cover a wide variety of topics, from outdoor adventures to water conservation to entomology | https://4-h.org/parents/curriculum/
- Project Learning Tree | Free Family Activity Guide Resources for Educators | https://www.plt.org/activities-for-families/ https://www.plt.org/resources/
- Learn the history of US National Parks and start planning your next road trip | https://www.titlemax.com/discovery-center/the-ultimate-road-trip/most-popular-national-parks/ @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
Other Information you should know
- Registration is limited.
- Parents, legal guardians, or anyone 18 years or older cannot participate in any activities unless they are registered as a volunteer with the Parks and Recreation department and they have the permission of the program coordinator.
- These activities will be held outdoors, so participants need to dress accordingly, bring a refillable water bottle, and wear sunscreen and insect repellent. @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
Please contact Shannon Bungart, Rec Ranger Program Coordinator