While there have only been a handful of Zika Virus cases in Broward county, preventing mosquito bites is the best way to reduce the risk of mosquito-borne disease.
Here are some helpful tips to prevent mosquito bites.
- DRAIN any water where water has collected, such as garbage cans, gutters, pool covers, toys, flower pots or coolers.
- DISCARD old items such tires, drums, bottles, cans, pots, broken appliances and other items that aren’t being used.
- EMPTY and CLEAN birdbaths and pet’s water bowls at least once or twice a week.
- PROTECT any boats or vehicles from rain with tarps that don’t accumulate water.
- MAINTAIN the water balance of your swimming pool. Empty any plastic pools when not in use. Repair any broken screens on windows, doors, porches and patios.
- COVER UP when outside. Wear shoes, socks, long pants and long sleeves whenever possible.
- USE REPELLENT on bare skin and clothing. Repellents with DEET, picaridin, oil of lemon eucalyptus, para-menthane-diol, and IR3535 are effective. Use netting to protect children younger than 2 months.