Consumer Sparkler / Firework Safety Tips
- Have a designated, responsible adult of firework/sparkler products. Alcohol and Fireworks are an invitation to disaster.
- Firework/Sparkler products shall be placed on a hard surface. Please see instructions on the firework/sparkler product for safe placement.
- Make sure an ample fuse is showing from the sparkler product. If the fuse is not visible, do not light the product.
- Always display firework/sparkler products in an open surrounding and away from trees, canopies, any and all flammable / combustible liquids, and structures.
- Always keep spectators, especially children, at a safe distance. Children should never be encouraged to ignite firework / sparkler products.
- Have a bucket of water and a charged garden hose available for “duds” or small fires. Make sure the unlit sparkler product is cooled prior to picking up the product and submerging in water.
- Never attempt to re-ignite “duds”, or firework products that failed to activate. Failure to adhere to this provision will cause severe burns to the face, chest, and hands.
- If a firework/sparkler product burns you, immerse the burn in cool water and seek medical attention immediately. Never place butter, oils or greasy products on a burn! This promotes infection of the burn area!
- Above all use common sense, and be safe!
Read more helpful information in the Firework Consumer Safety (PDF)